About the Fit-Friendly Worksites Program
The American Heart Association is recognizing employers who go above and beyond when it comes to their employees’ health. We want to reward companies for their progressive leadership and highlight their concern for their staff. By doing so, more companies will follow your lead and employ physical activity practices such as:
- Providing walking routes.
- Promoting walking programs, online newsletters and tracking tools to motivate employees.
- Allowing staff to wear athletic shoes in the workplace on designated "sneaker days."
Use tools like our free Worksite Wellness Kit to create a healthier workplace environment.
Check Out the Perks
Adult Americans spend most of their waking hours at work. Sadly, many of those hours are spent sitting at a desk. This makes them vulnerable to health risks associated with inactive lifestyles. Studies suggest that by starting a worksite physical activity program and promoting a culture of activity, you can:
- Increase productivity
- Reduce absenteeism
- Lower turnover
- Reduce healthcare costs
Besides benefiting companies, a healthier workplace helps employees live healthier, longer lives. What better benefit could you provide your employees than that?
Our Program is Loaded with Benefits
With your help, your workplace and your employees can be on the way to better health. There’s no better benefit to offer your employees than helping them have healthier, longer lives, whether your workplace is a school, corporation, hospital or any other type of worksite. And the American Heart Association wants to help. That’s why we’ve created these free tools:
- Employee access to program resources, including the free Worksite Wellness Kit, the Activity Tracker, walking and exercise programs and healthy eating solutions and resources
- Materials to help promote company wellness programs to employees
- A quarterly worksite-wellness e-newsletter with tips for your employees that you may use in your own newsletters or email communication
It’s easy to gain recognition for the work your company is doing to help fight heart disease. Just visit our online Fit-Friendly application/renewal site. Quick and simple!
An American Heart Association Expert Panel reviews your application and awards recognition to your company.
Each year, you can renew your Fit-Friendly status by revisiting our Fit-Friendly site.
The deadline for Fit-Friendly Worksite applications and renewals is Nov. 1, 2013.
Worksite wellness programs are a proven strategy to prevent the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease, according to a policy statement in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association. Wellness programs help increase worker productivity, reduce absenteeism, lower turnover rates and reduce healthcare costs..